Southampton have dropped their appeal against their Spygate removal from the Championship play-off final.
After confessing to spying on play-off semi-final rivals Middlesbrough, Town – while practicing at Eastleigh ahead of the 2-2 tie at St Mary’s in the season’s penultimate game – and Oxford United, the Saints were expelled from the play-offs by an Independent Disciplinary Commission yesterday and docked four points the following season.
The EFL validated today that the Hampshire club’s appeal had failed.
“A League Arbitration Panel has today dismissed Southampton Football Club’s appeal against the Independent Disciplinary Commission’s sanction following the admission of several breaches of EFL rules,” according to the statement.
“The determination means that the initial penalty of removal from the Sky Bet Championship play-offs stands, as does the four-point deduction to be applied to the 2026/27 Championship table and the reprimand for all offenses.
“The club filed its appeal in response to yesterday’s ruling by the Independent Disciplinary Commission for breaches of EFL rules.
“According to EFL regulations, the League Arbitration Panel’s ruling is definitive and cannot be appealed.
“Following the completion of the proceedings, the Sky Bet Championship play-off final between Hull City and Middlesbrough is confirmed to take place at Wembley Stadium on Saturday, May 23rd, with a 3. 30pm kickoff. “
“The League Arbitration Panel’s written reasons will be released in due course, together with the Independent Disciplinary Commission’s complete decision. “
The Saints released a statement that says: “Southampton Football Club has been notified this evening that the EFL’s League Arbitration Panel has sustained the sanctions imposed earlier this week. As a result, the club will not compete in Saturday’s Championship play-off final.
“This is an extremely disappointing outcome for everyone associated with Southampton Football Club. We recognise how difficult this announcement will be for our supporters, players, staff, commercial partners, and the greater community, all of whom have contributed so much to the team throughout the season, and we apologize to everyone affected by this.
“While we completely recognize the gravity of this issue and the examination that has ensued, the club has always felt that the initial sporting punishment was excessive, a sentiment shared by many in the football community over the previous 24 hours.
“We would want to convey our heartfelt gratitude to our supporters for their support, patience, and loyalty throughout what has been a very tough time. We will provide information about ticket refunds for anybody who purchased tickets to Wembley as soon as possible.
“Southampton Football Club has a long and established history, but it is evident that confidence needs to be restored. That labor starts right now. The club will thoroughly review the circumstances that led to this decision, learn from them, and take the essential steps to move ahead responsibly.
“While tonight is a tragic day, this football club will respond with humility, accountability, and resolve to rectify matters,” the club said.